Friday, April 30, 2010

The Writer Berry and the Artist

Okay, so, this art thing...yeah.  I KNEW, way down deep inside, that I would love art.  That graphic art in particular would strike a cord and leave me happy.  That with practice, I could even be *good* at it.  Who knows if I will ever actually put that much effort into it, but that's not the point.  The point is, I was told for years and years and years by multiple people that I do not possess an art brain; that I am far too left-brained and boring for that; that I should stick with my awesome testing ability and my book smarts, and leave the creative pursuits to those who are *capable* of being good at them.  Tonight, I thumb my nose at those people.

This is the project I should have turned in back in February.  I have never been so frustrated or felt so utterly inept (with the exception of my intro art studio at Full Sail, which was Hades walking) as I did the week and a half leading up to NOT DOING this assignment.  Our portfolios are our final for the class, though, and I wanted extra practice before I finished my last project.  Plus, I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it.  And I did!  Here it is:
It's not the world's best graphic art.  It might not even qualify as "good" for an intro student.  I don't care one whit!  I did it, despite being terrified of it, and it turned out almost exactly the way I wanted it to. :)  This is a poster for the game in Project: Atlantis, called JET.  It's sort of capture the flag inside a giant holographic-projection stadium.  It's a fun scene in the story, and aside from the sunny sky in the background (that despite fiddling and fiddling and fiddling, I could NOT darken adequately), this sums it up nicely.  The poster is made up of five images - each medallion, the crossed sabers, the jungle, and the ruins.  I personally made it look like the ruins almost belong in this jungle. :)  I'm very proud of it!  Even though I totally messed up at one point and didn't notice until hours later when it was too late to undo.  And even though I couldn't get the resolution to match so it didn't look like it came from a different image.  :P  Doesn't matter.  Mistakes included, I had a huge amount of fun!

I also wrote my nutrition paper today, so I feel massively accomplished. :D  Yay me!

No comments: