Sunday, March 3, 2013

First Dream Prompt

I'm starting today's challenge changes late, since I only came up with the idea about an hour ago.  (Don't miss the post below this one where said challenge is discussed!)  But!  I'm still on it, that way I can officially start today. :)

Ordinarily, this summary section will go in my journal.  Because I have yet to dig it out of the box it's in, my summary will have to go here.  I don't know about you, but I always find a writer's process fascinating.  In fact, I find all people's processes fascinating, because there are so very many ways to look at things, and nobody's brain seems to work exactly like someone else's.

Dream:
The family was driving cross-country.  We stopped to get gas, but the gas station closed right as Jeremelon was paying to fill up my car.  He'd spent time filling up his already, and I got angry with him for not making the employee stay open an extra five minutes so I could fill my tank, too.  It was on empty and there was no other station around for miles, given that we were in the middle of nowhere.  So I decided to leave the car until the morning.  I grabbed Berrykin out of his seat and stalked off to a giant Disney-esque traveling carnival (theme park on wheels!) that had set up next door.  When I got there, the dream changed.  I was somebody new, with no Berrykin.  I had a little sister with magical gifts, and we were hanging out at the carnival for bit before going home.  She kept looking for our mother, who, for some reason involving her own magic and her role in the world, had left us alone in our small house in the middle of nowhere.  When we got home, we'd picked up a handsome warrior that my sister developed a crush on.  It then became a "find this unknown object" stress dream.  I went through every closet and drawer in the house trying to locate some mystical item I needed to calm my sister down.  She was upset over our mother, trying to impress the guy, scared I was going to leave her for him, and her magic was responding accordingly.  By the end, I found something similar to the object I was looking for, though not quite - it was a fluffy skirt, like a ballet skirt that's half-tutu and half-flowy chiffon.  I decided, for the good of my sister, that I had to leave her with the warrior and go out to exercise my own gifts, lest all the excess energy from being cooped up with a handsome warrior make me do bad things.  As I was leaving the house, our mother showed up.  That made me angry, because apparently that was the pattern - she'd arrive just after she was needed, always a little too late to save the day.  She (who was not my real-life mom) showed up with an entourage of real-life family members, most of whom proceeded to either ignore me or tease me, mostly about my skirt.  I ignored them all, took a magic Polaroid camera my mom offered me, and went back to the fair.  Warrior boy followed me, demanding I explain what was going on.  I ignored him as best I could, at one point eating a scrumptious chocolate eclair drizzled with buttercream frosting and sprinkled with mini chocolate chips.  YUM.

Prompts:

A traveling carnival is really a portal to another world, or a focal point for sparking latent magic abilities.

Bad timing strands the protagonist in the middle of a small town populated by ex-circus-performers with a dark secret.

Two sisters, hidden away in a dark forest to protect them from the world and the world from their magic, are forced to save themselves and the world when a mysterious stranger arrives.

Guardian souls exist in unlikely places, waiting to be tapped to bring virtue or safety back into the lives of those they guard.

A girl's transformation begins with a simple, white skirt.

What happens to a savior's children when the savior must be out, saving the world, instead of at home? What if the savior is also the only one who can teach them to use their gifts?

What if one generation's savior is the parent of the next generation's greatest source of evil?

Food as magic.

A woman chooses duty in order to protect her little sister and the man she loves, but in doing so will never be allowed to be loved ever again.

This camera really does steal souls.

No comments: