Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Scatterbrains

I'm struggling to get my head on straight this morning.  We're about halfway through our second viewing of The Tigger Movie for the day.  I've journalled for The Artist's Way, fed us breakfast, caught up on Facebook, sent emails, and generally kept to our previous schedule.  Except now we're in Arizona, and it feels like nothing is the same.

Part of that is because our circumstances are different.  Everything happens an hour later due to the time difference.  All day yesterday, I kept feeling like I had lots of day time left, and I didn't.  Our Christmas was all over the place because the store we thought would be open to enable us to buy cardamom to make aebleskiver was not, in fact, open.  So we drove around for a long time trying to find an open grocery store, with only partial success. (Partial, because we found an open Mexican grocery store, but their spice section was about a shelf big, and cardamom was not one of the few they carried.)  It was a lovely Christmas, but I still feel like I'm missing something.

The bigger difference, though, is because I don't have free run of everything.  We only have one room we can hang out in until Jeremelon gets up for the day (his work shift is 3:30pm - midnight).  I should be figuring out what to do for lunch, but I have to wait for Jeremelon to get up for the day to find out what he wants to do, because he has opinions about food.  I can't take the berrykin for a walk yet, though I did figure out how to make that happen here (hurray!).  We can go on a short walk tomorrow, I think, and my ankle should be able to handle it.  We've got 3-4 hours until Jeremelon goes to work and we have naptime (very much looking forward to that today), then the in-laws will be home when we get up, and we'll be hanging out in the other room for the rest of the night.  And I have no clue what we're doing for dinner, or if I need to handle it myself.  And even if I decide the latter, I still don't have any idea where anything is here.  Phoenix is a much more confusing city than the little town where my mom lives.  Sure, I haven't had access to stores like BestBuy or Target for the last month, but there's a coziness and calm to simplicity like that.  At least we have money for gas if I decide to go somewhere...oh.  But I don't have a key or an access button to get in the gate.  So I can't really go anywhere, after all.

So what do I do?  I have to figure out how to BE here, and feel a lot more okay with that than I was last time.  I got pretty depressed before leaving for California.  I don't want to go back to that.  Which means, I think, that I have to set up my own space, for one, and for two, I need to make sure I'm being productive and using my time wisely.  Otherwise, I have too much time to think and grow despondent.

Then again, we're only going to be here another eight or nine days before we go to Colorado to stay with my sister.  So part of me is also wondering if it's worth it to modify our routine when we're just going to change it up again.  Of course it is, but that's the stubborn part of me, I guess. :)

And now that I've written my pseudo-whiny problem outline, I must go post a to-do list to try to start a solution going.

Happy 1st Day of Christmas!

No comments: