We have big stuff going on here. Daily, it looks like we're just going about our normal routine. But we're not. Our heads are filled with big things that we can't talk about. Can't, won't...I'm not really sure which, actually.
In general, we've decided to make the next two to three months really count. They will be a flurry of job applications and school work (hopefully...if that EVER gets sorted out!) and stress. But by April, we hope to have transformed where we are now into something completely different. It's rather terrifying, really. Worth it, though. And that's all I'm going to say about that.
Tomorrow, the Berrykin and I (and possibly Jeremelon, depending on if he gets time off) are heading back to California for my grandmother's memorial. Her ashes are being buried with my grandfather, which I've always thought a romantic ending, and not one I'd have paired with her. But I didn't know my grandfather, and I certainly never saw them together, so perhaps there was more romance there than I can imagine having only known her after she became a widow. Still, it's a strangely comforting idea. Except the part of me that is an archaeologist...that part wonders about the actual physical act, how they accomplish it, what my mom and uncle are thinking about what "with" means. And then after the archaeologist in me decides she doesn't want to know, she gets all romantic all over again. Because archaeologically, finding one person's remains added to those of another is always touching. It's one of the multitude of ways archaeologists brush up along lives long gone. I'm not sure I can really explain how that makes a person feel. It's one of the reasons I love archaeology so very much. No matter the reason two sets of remains are put together, it tells a story. Sometimes more than one. It bridges lives across centuries, connects (at least the idea of) two souls and the archaeologist's in a way that doesn't occur anywhere else.
Anyway. We'll be gone for the week, which will be good for us and for the in-laws, I think. Coming out of the stressful holiday has put extra pressure and tension on all of us, so it will be good to let everyone breathe a little. When we come back, I am beginning a new fitness regimen. Part of it is through SparkPeople, which is where I track all my food and exercise minutes. They put together challenges periodically with real prizes, and I've always wanted a shot at winning. This one started yesterday, so I'm actually in it right now. The bigger picture, though, starts when we get back. Really, it's just me getting out of the apartment more and cooking more often earlier in the day. Well, some of it isn't *just* anything, but I want to keep it a secret for a while. :)
And because my brain keeps telling me when I'm all secretive like this that people will think I'm pregnant, let me say this: I'm not pregnant. There. Disappointment out of the way!
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment