Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Colorado

It's snowing on us for the second time in our two-week visit to Colorado.  On May 1st.  Personally, I think that's AWESOME.  It snowed in June some years back - that was weirder.  I get annoyed with all the people on Facebook who say spring hasn't started yet, and they want winter to go away.  Because honestly, this IS spring in Colorado.  The majority of Colorado's snow falls in the spring months, and because it gets more snow than rain in a year, this is the bulk of its moisture.  I know I haven't had to drive in it endlessly this season, or suffered for a lack of "new" season - I got to have spring in Arizona, after all.  But still.  If ya don't like spring being made up of snow, don't live in Colorado.

Then again, I've always had a significant love affair with snow.  It only grew when it happened to snow the day I found out I was pregnant with the berrykin.  I have so many good memories of snow, they far outweigh the bad.  This snow, too, is all fluffy and wet.  My favorite!

Part of me wishes we were actually moving back.  We had a 2 or 3 week window before we came to visit when it was a significant possibility.  But the job we were 98% certain Jeremelon would get back didn't come through.  Without at least one full-time job, we can't come back.  I could take two doula clients a month, which would be the equivalent of a full-time job at about $10/hour.  Not nearly enough on its own, but possibly enough to move so we could find something better while living with my sister. Except that I'm nowhere near experienced enough to land two clients a month.  I won't get my first book check until August or September, so that can't even be additional income until after summer is over.  And summer is REALLY the time to get the heck out of Phoenix.

Jeremelon has one more "good" lead (in quotes because it all seems to be luck anymore) in Phoenix that will hopefully take him on - his dad works for the company, as does a previous supervisor.  And then...I have no idea what we're doing.  Well, I'm continuing to write.  THAT won't ever change. (Except months like April, where I'm too busy dealing with upheaval to get anything productive done, including passing my classes...grrrr.)

For today, I'm enjoying watching the snow fall.  Soon as Jeremelon finishes doing the dishes, I think I'll edit.  Then hopefully I can send my first novella off to beta readers before the end of the week.

No comments: