Remember that change I mentioned in the last quick update?
We moved back to Colorado. Hurray!
We're living on the north side of Denver, which is new for us. My dad grew up about eight minutes from our apartment, and my grandparents always lived in this area. So it's not unknown sort of new, entirely. That actually makes it kind of hard. Memories of my grandparents are around every corner, waiting to jump out at me when I least expect it. The berrykin fell asleep in the car while we were out the other day, and we drove to let him nap and accidentally ended up passing my grandparents' house. I miss them. It's hard to believe my grandpa has been gone for 11 years. Part of me still feels like they should be here, somewhere. It was really hard during the moving phase, because we had issues finding a place to sleep or the money to...well, do anything, really. My grandma would have insisted we stay with her and done whatever she could to help. She would have gotten such an enormous kick out of the berrykin - she loved little kids, especially boys, so very much. They always made her laugh a lot.
Anyway, before I start crying too hard...
We are back in Colorado. Jeremelon got his old job back, but at a different theatre on this side of the city. My sister, Beeee, is helping with rent in exchange for a bedroom so she doesn't have an hour-long commute each way every day. With her help, we managed to get an apartment we can afford. It's older than any of the ones I've lived in before, but it's not icky by any means. Except that it's in a transition refurbish period, so not everything matches. Like the doorknobs. Half of them required actual keys to open, which I thought was the house key because it went in without a problem. But when Berrykin locked himself in his room yesterday, I discovered that was not the case. : / I had to have maintenance come over to get him out, and they switched out all the knobs for me. I failed to clarify what I wanted, so now NONE of the bedroom doors lock. But that's a problem for another day.
My author career launches in FIVE WEEKS from today! Holy moly oly! Unfortunately, because we lost two months due to Jeremy's mom's hip problems and our own moving, I've gotten no closer to having publishable material. I'm still on my first edit of the first story, and have a whole page written of the second story. But I guess that's okay, 'cause there was a misunderstanding on the art side of things, so I'm only going to have the first cover. Which means I need to figure out what kind of simple yet attractive cover I can Photoshop together on my own until such a time as my artist has more leeway or I have money with which to pay someone else (my artist is a friend who agreed to do it for free, because he's awesome like that).
Still, I can't express how terrifyingly exciting it is that July is ALMOST HERE!! I was hoping to have a launch party sometime at the end of June, but that doesn't look feasible, now that we have to, you know, pay rent 'n stuff. :) I also need to get my doula site up so I can start looking for clients. Berrykin turns three in under two months, which is crazy. I'm sure there are other, smallish things that I'm forgetting to mention. There are a couple much bigger things, too, but I'm going to wait to talk about those until I can actually do so in a concrete, factual manner.
Hopefully, I will be able to post more berrykin-related stuff soon. I need to find a working camera cord. I also need to take time to blog, too, now that we have internet and a set routine. But...yeah. Not sure it will happen. For now, I'm off to continue organizing the kitchen so that when my cousins come over tomorrow, it's not a total disaster...
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment