Friday, October 14, 2011

Bye-Bye, #2?

Nap #2, that is.  I think the berrykin might be gradually giving up his second nap.  I have been blessedly grateful that naps became relatively quiet endeavors for the last few months.  He hated taking them, screamed his little head off for three weeks or a month every time I put him down.  And then he didn't like them, but he slept.  The mental relief of the change was bigger than the physical absence of struggle, chasing, and carrying!  Whew!  And with a few minor exceptions, it lasted.

Until last week, when he suddenly started fighting his 2pm nap.  Some days he goes down without a problem, but it's less than half the time.  Sometimes I think he's asleep until I hear him straining to poop (still haven't gotten his system to accept cow's milk without a fight).  That always makes him cry like a pathetic little thing and ruins any chance at calm quiet he might have until bedtime.  That happened today.  About an hour and a half later, he started being a grabby, mean monster (he's only mean to me...never to Jeremelon) so I decided he got to try to take his second nap again.  Now, he's sitting in his crib playing.  I'm 100% cool with that.  We both still get the quiet downtime, he spends some time alone in his bed (which I'm hoping will eventually cure him of the horrible way he wakes up every. single. time, with big fat tears and angry wailing).  Maybe it will also help him sleep through the night eventually!  I'm just worried it'll make him crankier during the day, and that his first nap won't be enough to last him the rest of the day.  Some days, we struggle to get him to 10am before he zonks, so there's no way it'll wait.  Ah, the joys of parenting. :)

On the other hand, I woke him up at 2:30am last night for a bottle, because by that point he's normally been up twice.  Last night, he hadn't woken up yet!  I wish I was more with it when he woke up later, because I don't remember if he was up at 7:30, or if he got up before that.  I can't even remember how many times I gave him his bottle.  -__-  But!  I would LOVELOVELOVELOVE it if he started sleeping more.  It's exhausting to have to wake up three times a night, so I generally go to bed after his second wake-up at 1, which means I'm nowhere near rested enough when he gets up for good.  Especially on the nights he wakes up twice more after 1.  Zzzzzzzzz.

Oh, and he cut all his molars within a week and a half of each other.  Now he's cutting all four canines at once.  I think that leaves one more set of molars, and then we're done.  For a while, anyway!

No comments: