Friday, September 17, 2010

Check-Out

Had my last obstetrical appointment today.  I have the green light to resume all business as usual.  Yay!  I am very enthusiastic.  Right now I can't muster a lot because Oliberrykin and I celebrated by going for a walk and I am all tuckered out.  Feels better to be exhausted from activity than it does from sleep deprivation.  Have enough of that still.  Baby won't sleep without warm coziness of second body.  We either have to co-sleep, for which I have mixed feelings, or one of us holds him.  He was much better when he was smaller and without so much energy.  He's hungry all the bloomin' time - what used to be two hours is now one, and the feedings that used to be 15 - 20 minutes are closer to an hour.  Last night, in an effort to see if his squalling was because I've been unwittingly cutting it short, I endeavored to keep waking him when he fell asleep nursing to keep eating.  Two hours later, I gave up.  And of course then he wouldn't stay asleep.  Gah!  I feel like a failure every time I feed him - my milk can't keep up with him.  I think I messed it up by not pumping when I had oversupply last week.  Or I haven't been drinking or eating enough (which, currently, is almost nothing - I don't have time to even microwave a meal between setting him down and his screaming his head off.  I really want to try wearing him, but he isn't good enough at nursing to use the nursing hold, and it's too much hassle to get it all set up only to have to take him out 20 minutes later).  End result, frustrated, sad mom, frustrated, angry baby.  AND the one problem at my appt was that my blood pressure was still elevated.  So I'm supposed to go to my regular doctor so they can monitor it.  I guess then I can show off the baby, anyway.

Have I added his accomplishments lately?  He's rolled over on accident, smiled on purpose, gotten better control of his hands, lifts his head really well when held upright, makes all kinds of new baby sounds...oh, and yesterday he started drooling. :)  We're still working on lifting his head when on his tummy.

This typing with one hand thing is a pain...

2 comments:

April said...

Yay for the green light! Boo for the lack of sleep. You should really try wearing him, sometimes little berries think that they need food when really they need something else. And since he seems to like to cuddle so much, wearing him seems like a perfect solution. I wish I had known more about it when I had Addie, it really made things SOOOO much easier with Charlotte!

What kind of carrier do you have? Sometimes it takes baby a little while to get used to it, but once they figure out that they get to snuggle up to mommy they LOVE it! It was pretty much where Charlotte took most of her naps, and it let me stretch out the feeding sessions because she would actually sleep longer... plus, when she would nurse she would actually eat because she was actually hungry! If you have any questions about baby wearing I'd love to help you. I'm such a convert after my experience with Char.

Holly said...

I actually made sure I had a wrap on my registry because of your comments about how much easier it made doing things with Charlotte. :) Thankfully, somebody bought me one! It's a Moby wrap, and my big confuddlement was deciding which position the berrykin would like best. He refuses to be swaddled anymore and screams his little head off if he can't kick his legs, but he also gets a bit miffed if he can't pull his legs up while drifting off to sleep.

But Oh My Gosh! He fell asleep almost as soon as I switched him to the front carry position, despite being mid-squallfest because he thought it was time to eat. He didn't stay asleep because I had to move his head a little, but now he's contentedly looking around while cuddling and I have two hands to type this! Such a relief!!

Thanks so much for suggesting it!