Friday, June 25, 2010

Big Baby?

I had my 33 week appointment this morning with a different obstetrician.  I liked her SO much better than the one I have been seeing!  Her assistant is kind of scary and sharp, but oh my gosh, the doc makes up for it.  She gave me real numbers, asked me specifics about what could be wrong to make sure I wasn't experiencing it, told me what to look out for, and how I was doing over all.  It was awesome!  She covered blood pressure, telling me my basic range over time so I could assess where I was.  I LOVE that.  I was really worried about my BP this week because of all the stress and the heat and the whole getting dehydrated thing, but it was really good!  It was back down to early pregnancy levels, 117/70, I think (which is really good for me).  I have been sitting at about 128/80, and maybe it was just the dehydration thing, but I don't care.  It's not going up, and that's the important part.  I don't want pre-eclampsia, and I don't want to have to worry about getting it.  My BP staying stable helps A LOT.  Whew!

On the other hand, she measured my uterus and asked if I'd had any growth scans done.  I worried for about five seconds until she said, "This baby is growing a lot more than I would expect.  We should have an ultrasound to make sure you're not going to have to push out a 20 pound baby."  And she said it with a smile and slight Southern accent.  :)  So...on the one hand, possibly big baby.  On the other, baby might come earlier than expected.  On a third hand, there's the whole gestational diabetes thing, because that's one of the causes of a quickly growing baby.  And I had a TON of sugar over the last week. : /  Buuuuut...yeah. Not worried.  I'm kind of pleased (for the moment, anyway) because I was hoping I'd have another ultrasound.  It'll help me figure out what part of the baby I'm feeling, show me which way it's pointed, and tell me how big a berrykin I have so far.  I know the silly thing went through an absolutely massive growth spurt last weekend because I had two days of thinking I looked absolutely HUGE and HOUSELIKE before I realized it was just my tummy that had grown.  Silly me. :T  So Tuesday I will get to see the baby again, hopefully find out its size, and hopefully NOT have to go through another glucose test.

Oh, and apparently Berrykin is really active.  I've now had two doctors get really surprised at the amount of movement in a short span of time.  Today, the baby moved four or five times in about fifteen seconds while the doc was trying to find the heartbeat.  The little pill kept hiding and moving away from the doppler.  Took several minutes to hold still long enough to count.  Silly Berrykin. :)

No comments: