Friday, November 30, 2012

Writing Challenge

Agent Nephele Tempest (she of the awesome name) has challenged writers for the month of December.  Write something every day.  Doesn't matter what it is, just a little something.  Like strength training, she challenges us to set the habit so that we keep the blood flowing.  Since December is possibly the hardest month in a year to keep up a habit with everything going on, it should be a good challenge at making time.

I have experienced myself how much better my writing becomes, and how much easier it is to begin each session, when I write every day.  Waaaay back when I was working on Bloodstones, I wrote every day.  Every day, I made progress.  The words flowed.  My brain didn't have to work hard to get into the write mindset.  I always knew what I was doing with the story.  Essentially, writing every day slots the story to a back burner that's always lit.  Even when I'm not actively thinking about the story, it's there, waiting for another look.  Working out the problems.  Coming up with nifty changes.  The story flows...most of the time.   Best yet, writing every day makes me eager to get to the keys the next day.  (An effect that's quadrupled if I'm writing the climax of a book - on GO, I managed a 9000-word day to get all the action and fun in and experienced.  That's 9-ish hours.  I really wanted to get to 10,000, but I was exhausted.  Creativity is hard work!)

I need to rebuild the habit.  I want to make time.  The berrykin and I are desperate for a set schedule, and carving out writing time is easiest with a schedule.  Handily, setting a schedule is easier when one has specific things they need to do in a day.

For the month of December, I'm going to be posting something every day.  Fun family stuff here, writing stuff on my writing blog (check Facebook if you want the address), projects and daily chore stuff over at the BP House.  For those with access, I might also be using FLOWE and SparkPeople.  At least one post every morning while I'm trying to wake up to Thomas and Friends.

In addition to blogging, I'll also be writing a little something by hand each day.  I might take the opportunity to start up The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron again.  More likely, I'll just do some jottings to clear my head or deepen an idea.

And of course, I'll work.  This Secret Project of mine won't write itself!

No comments: