It's been 2 years since we moved...I guess we're due. :P
Our return to Phoenix is official as of yesterday afternoon. Jeremelon starts at a new theatre on the...8th, I think. So he's leaving the 6th, and Berrykin and I get to stay here for another 2.5 weeks while he finishes the school year and I pack. And pack. And pack. And then figure out how to move it all into a storage unit without my more muscular partner and no babysitter...
It's nice knowing. The waiting was killing me. I have done very little the last week or two but sit and play video games. Some of that has been with my sister and her boyfriend for much the same reason on their end - it gives them something to do before he deploys. It's been fun. Relaxing. Except the part where we all got a nasty head cold and the berrykin picked up a tummy bug that...uh...let's just say it's a good thing they'll be replacing the carpets when we move. :O
I'm a little worried. Okay, a LOT worried. We're moving to the hottest place in the country right as summer kicks off. Which means I will be stuck inside with berrykin and the two small dogs he loves to chase, and my mother-in-law, who works from home. Just us. I had visions of going for walks through the neighborhood to ease tension until I realized how hot it's prepping to be. I mean, it's already near 90. One of our first purchases will be a small A/C unit to put in our bedroom so I don't melt while the in-laws sit around all snug and toasty. But the aerobic dance studio I fell in love with last time just closed a couple weeks ago, and the zoo will be too warm and busy for that to be a good de-stresser like it was last time...so I just don't know what I'm going to do with myself.
I'm also worried about Berrykin. I don't know what the schools are like there, how the district fares, if we'll be moving somewhere else before summer is up. Everybody has a lot of ideas, but nobody has yet settled on a plan. And that's okay. I just worry. Last time we moved there, Berrykin went through his 2-year regression (somewhat common in Spectrum kids, I hear) and I failed to recognize it. I missed it. I blamed it on the move and all the changes, and the fact that Jeremelon and I were fighting all the time. I'm scared it wasn't an Autistic thing after all, and that moving again with all the stress and changes and restrictions that comes with living with the in-laws will destroy all the progress he's made in the last six months.
But, with the rental price increasing by at least 10% each year, there's no way we can stay. And so I am resigned. I have a writing goal for the summer, the promise of getting one day every week to myself, and gratitude that we have somewhere to go.
We'll do this thing. And I'm also determined that this time will be different, so we'll do this thing big and bright and awesome. So long as I don't melt first...
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment