Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Prioritizing

Here we are in February.  I know, I don't believe it, either.

This month, I'm working on learning to prioritize.  I've been experimenting with it for over a year, off and on, figuring out what doesn't work (a lot of this) and what does (not much of this).  It's a tricky thing, and I feel better about myself knowing that I'm not alone in this struggle.  Just yesterday, a friend on Facebook posted a link to an article about prioritizing one's life, so I know it's not just me!  Unfortunately, while it makes me feel better about myself, it doesn't do a whole lot to, you know, help me actually prioritize.  More's the pity!

So this month, I'm really trying to find a way that works for me.

I'm pretty sure that involves routine.  Straight-up, self-inflicted routine.  Which is good, because the berrykin needs routine rather desperately.  All this flitting about the country, being sick, spending time in hospitals with a constant stream of people coming and going and living with extra people who explode energy constantly...well, it's hard on a toddler world.  One of these days, I'd also like to make some pretty major changes, like getting our own place again.  I'd really like to have a structured routine for him, to make sure he has an anchor when the time comes.  No.  I insist on it.

Anyway.  Routine!  That's the foundation.  We did really well when we were staying with my momberry, and the berrykin was a great deal happier, less prone to tantrums, and he was making verbal and potty training progress.  We've been working on starting that this week, primarily with an outing every morning.  Today and yesterday, we went to the zoo.  I intend to go at least three days every week (we live in an area of the city that isn't conducive to much that I feel safe doing, and I don't know my way around well enough yet to try new things), and spend the other four days running errands, exploring the city, or whatever else shows up.  An hour or two out of the house to burn off steam (berrykin) and get exercise (me and the Jeremelon).  That way, Berrykin is more likely to nap, and I get my time to work.

I've also structured in time to write at night, for myself.  Naptime is for working on school (still need to write a post on that, yes?), or, if there isn't any, getting a head-start on my work writing.  If there isn't any of either, then other, lesser work, like making websites or completing my doula certification.  Today, I'm fudging a little because I'm still fixing my sleep schedule, and mornings are for blogging, but I can't blog if I'm not awake.  So I took my two quizzes, and now I have no more school work until my book arrives.  Woohoo!  It's liberating getting things done with lots of time to spare. :)

And now I'm off to work on my paid writing.  Expect more posts, more often!

No comments: